Date:      23 Nov 1999 19:52:11 +0200
From:      Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

	Hi Jordan!

On 23 Nov 99 at 19:17, "Jordan" (Jordan K Hubbard) wrote:

 >> Hm, I know few people who think twice before choosing FreeBSD for their
 >> needs. They think versions change too fast. For some this is a sign of
 >> bad stability (heh...) others just scared of necessity of following the
 >> releases.

 Jordan> We keep our -stable branches going for more than a year each time.
 Jordan> In this industry, that's a geological age.  I think the people
 Jordan> you're talking to must have lost their sense of proportion.

	I can agree. Even more: I do agree. But we must consider the fact
	that the first release in 3.x, which is recommended for production
	puropses, was 3.2 (don't mean official recommendations here 8). And
	that was also the time when really massive switching from 2.x to
	3.x was taking place. I would count this as the start point and
	give about a year for the branch.

	And I agree with 'proprtions' issue too. I'm trying to correct
	this. But, perhaps, a considerable compromise would pay some
	benefit to FreeBSD?
--
    /Voland			Vadim Belman
				E-mail: voland@plab.ku.dk