Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 21:45:53 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: mv vs. tar [overlapping]

In the last episode (May 29), Peter Leftwich said:
> On Thu, 30 May 2002, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> > Dan Nelson writes:
> > > A tar pipe will be much faster, since reading and writing will be overlapped.
> > > ( cd /source ; tar cf - . ) | ( cd destination ; tar xfp - )
> > eh?  sorry but I think that's nonsense. --mkb
>
> Actually, it's an interesting point... I think what Dan means is that read
> and write processes run concurrently (have you ever run multiple HTTP
> requests at once? it's a lot like that I suppose).  So it would seem
> tarring is quickest when moving a directory within the same filesystem!

Even to different filesystems.  A single process can only be reading or
writing, and when it's blocked reading, it can't be writing.  If you
are copying files over a couple meg, it also helps to increase the
buffering between the two tars by putting team (from ports) inbetween
them, and raising tar's blocksize:

( cd /source ; tar cbf 128 - . ) | team 1m  4 | ( cd /destination ; tar xbpf 128 - )

If you're talking about /moving/ within the /same/ filesystem, nothing
will beat "mv", since all it does is rename the files to the new
location.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com