Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2016 20:13:11 +0100
From:      Shamim Shahriar <shamim.shahriar@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best kind of hard drive for heavy use?

On 13/09/2016 19:48, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I had a hard-drive crash last night, GPT corrupted, don't know whether it's a software fault (NetBSD-current 7.99.15 i386) or hardware.
>
> Main question is what kind of hard drive is used for heavy compiling in FreeBSD, base system and ports, what might be used to create packages and base-system downloadable images.
>
> Using a USB-stick installation of FreeBSD including Rod Smith's gdisk, I could possibly restore the partition table, assuming hard drive is not going bad.  It's a Western Digital Green 3 TB dating to May 2013.  Experience with Western Digital makes me very afraid of "green" hard drives.
>
> I seem to be able to access the partitions, from the USB-stick installation of FreeBSD but not from NetBSD or Linux System Rescue CD, or at least the partition mounted as /home, read-only, would want to rsync that user data to an external USB stick or other drive, before doing anything that could mess the hard disk further and destroy my user data.  I have rsync on that USB-stick installation of FreeBSD.  I need to fear that any kind of write to that hard drive, even to restore the partition table, could push my data further to destruction if it's a hardware fault.
>
> After updating my backup with rsync, I could try to restore the GPT from backup at end of disk; I also found a backup copy of GPT data on the USB stick.
>
> Tom

My personal preference is WD Red (and NOT the Pro, just RED). It looks
excellent on paper, and so far I have not had any failure on them
(fingers crossed). The oldest I have is around 3 years old, used in a
server, and zfs shows no data error.

Drives I will definitely stay away from (at least for the next 5 years)
is Seagate -- specially barracuda and the like. Lost several of them as
they approached their 13th month life time -- similar use case (and
sometimes even less).

But I'm sure there are others in this list who has run extensive tests
on HDDs and can recommend something better with practical data to back
their findings.

Hope this helps.