Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 17:16:25 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Kevin T. Likes" <klikes@isd.state.in.us>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DMA syslogs errors but CD plays

Kevin T. Likes wrote:

> I don't have pnp support in the kernel.  I also don't know what it is set to,
> but pnpinfo says that the preferred is 5, but 7 is acceptable (which is what
> my config sets it at).  Do you think putting pnp support in would change
> anything.

Yes, when you next boot with '-c' you will be able to set the IRQ's etc. for
the PNP soundcard ;-)

> >One last point - is that when you replace the kernel on the system it looses
> >it's boot time configuration? - This would have to be re-setup...
>
> I did rebuild the kernel from my config, if that's what you mean.

Yes, that would have scratched any changes you made on previous '-c'
boots...

> BTW, I did track down the application which is causing the problem (I believe):
> xgal (which I wasn't running myself).

Yes, I've seen that happen here (except I was running it ;-) - If you
weren't running it - who was? - I'm not sure I'd like the idea of someone
running a game with sound on my machine (considering where the speakers are
;-)

Regards,

Karl