Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:44:10 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   if_dc problem identified

I have done some more investigating. I believe if_dc is not correctly
interpreting the SROM. It turns out that on Znyx cards, the SIA block is
not in the format the driver expects (there is a format bit you need to
check to see what format it is in).

I manually re-interpreted the data in the SROM and put a special case in
dc_apply_fixup() and now 10baseT half duplex works correctly (not only
that, but the LEDs do the correct thing too).

I won't post a patch, since the hack has SROM data that is specific to
this card, but it appears that the SROM parsing section of if_dc and the
media selection code needs serious work. According to the sample code
I've seen (thanks to Andrew Gallatin for pointing me to the sample
below), we're not consulting the SROM for _enough_ information, and
we're making too many assumptions about its format.

http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/docs/dev_doc/DOCUMENTATION/HTML/DDK_R2/usr/opt/OSCB505/src/usr/examples/ddk/src/pci/