Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:30:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        smorton@acm.org, Lucas Bergman <lucas@fivesight.com>, Alson van der Meulen <alson@flutnet.org>, FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Memory vs large number of files (was Archiving large number of files)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Stijn Hoop wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 05:06:58PM -0500, Simon Morton wrote:
> > > $ rm tarball.tar ; find . -print0 | xargs -0 tar rf tarball.tar
> > > would probably do the trick then.
> > >
> > > --Stijn
> >
> >    tar cf tarball.tar dir1 dir2 dir3
> >
> > be the simplest way to do it?
>
> I agree that this is a simpler way to tar up a single directory, or a few
> directories; I believe the original poster had to specify a lot of things
> to backup. That's when the find | xargs answer came up.

I have both cases. I have a few directories where I want the whole
directory and another where I only want to tar files within a certain date
range.

I will look into the suggestions given for the cases where I don't want
the whole directory.

In terms of performance would memory help on case of large directories?
I have directories which will have from 5,000 to 40,000 files. I don't
think we will ever need the data after 30 days, but my boss wants me to
archive all data. I figure I will tar and bzip2 the files daily.

The directories in question get about 5,000 per day. Before I was
cleaning them monthly. I am thinking about doing a daily tar. The problem
is when we have to do any kind of research (usually involving the last 7
days). I would then have to expand several of these tar archives.

Right now I have 128MB of RAM. Would going to 256 make things speedier?
The machine in question is a Dell 500Mhz running FreeBSD 4.X stable.