Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 14:59:46 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Michael Williams <iamalsogod@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I need help

Michael Williams wrote:

> Hi,
> Please correct me if this is the incorrect address/method to obtain
> technical support. However, if it is, I would be grateful if you could help
> me with FreeBSD. I rescently installed it on my system. The problem came
> when I tried to install one of the ports. I have a single cdrom distribution
> of FreeBSD, and mounted it with the command:
>
> mount /dev/acd0c
>
> (I'm not exactly sure of the device name I used, but I know it mounted the
> CDROM succesfuly, as I could browse it in /cdrom). I then went to
> /usr/src/ports/editors/emacs. There, I typed 'make'. Unfortunately, it
> spouted a ton of errors at me. It would appear that it is trying to download
> the ports from an FTP connection, as opposed to using the CDROM. I have read
> the BSD handbook, but I can find no reference to this problem, and have
> followed all the steps as instructed. I am using FreeBSD version 4.0.

You are confusing a package and a port. The package is on the CDROM
but the port has to be downloaded. The package can be added by cd'ing
to /cdrom/packages/editors and pkg_adding the version of emacs you
find there.

Kent

> Thankyou for your help.
> Mike

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html