Date:      Fri, 05 Nov 1999 01:26:31 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions about memory filesystems.

Some questions:

Is there any such thing as a tutorial anywhere on the proper setup and use
of a memory filesystem?  Or does the mount_mfs man page really tell me all
I need to know?

If I want to create a memory filesystem of, of, say, 64MB, do I really need
to first allocate a 64MB disk partition on my disk drives somewhere and then
provide the /dev/ name of that to the mount_mfs command as the ``special''
device file parameter?

The man page for mount_mfs says that when you unmount one of these memory
files systems, all data in that (former) filesystem is lost.

OK... Simple question:  Why?

I note that the same man page also says that ``The special file is typically
that of the primary swap area, since that is where the file system will be
backed up when free memory gets low and the memory supporting the file system
has to be paged.''

OK, so if the system is smart enough to page out some parts of one of these
memory filesystems when it gets generally low on memory, then why shouldn't
it also be smart enough to simply (a) page out the *whole* filesystem to
some designated hunk of disk space as/when the memory filesystem is being
unmounted, and then (b) page the whole thing back in again (presumably from
the same hunk of disk space) when the thing gets mounted again?

That would provide a nice sort of persistance effect for these memory
filesystems, even across (orderly) reboots.