Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 02:37:26 +0000
From:      Arman Hazairin <arman@ai3.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@california.sandia.gov
Subject:   Re: TCP connection hang

Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Arman Hazairin wrote:
>
> > If you look into the last ack, it's about 4K of data being transferred.
>
> Yes.  What's also kind of interesting is the inital 128-byte segment that gets
> sent...I wouldn't have expected this from a bulk transfer application.

You are absolutely right, the file size is about 1.4MB. Created from
floppy
disk image over 'dd' command.

> > It is almost the same in ftp application,
>
> What's the application under test?  If FTP behaves similarly it might not
> matter lots, I guess.  (I was thinking that if the receiver wasn't actually
> reading the data, it could cause this, but then we'd see different window size
> advertisements from receiver to sender.)

First I tried using ftp, then try to make trace over the data that
transferred
over the link by using small program that doing binary file transfer
over the link.

> > if i do that in that two box, vice versa.
> > I've tried to turn off rfc1323 and rfc1644 option, still doesn't work.
> > Any hint ?
>
> Ummm.  Let me ask this one more time....what's the network path like between
> your two machines?

Those two machines are connected by 64kbps leasedline, using Cisco
router in between.
The encapsulation is Cisco HDLC, using ip header compression option.

> I assume at this point the SCO box is trying to shove a huge file over the
> FreeBSD machine, right?  What happens if you try to go the opposite direction?
> (Is that what you meant by "vice versa" above?)

If you say that 1.4MB is huge, i hope that is not the case, because we
need
to transfer that kind of size (or even more) between the two boxes.
I've tried both direction.
FYI, using binary mode for transferring file through ftp, 1
postscript/text file
can went through (size: 1.8MB), but, if i try to pick binary file, that
problem appear again (i've tried 600K binary file).
I tried to split the original file into pieces (using split(1)), and
start
transferring 1st sequence, it can't  went through transferring the file.

> Also, where is your tcpdump trace being taken?  Is it on one of the two
> endhosts or at some point in the middle?

the tcpdump is being taken from FreeBSD box.

> Do you regularly do other types of communication over this path (e.g. HTTP,
> telnet, anything?)?  If so, how do they fare?

As in the previous e-mail, telnet connection went fine over the link.
Also,
transferring text file (using binary/ascii mode) over ftp connection
also fine.

> Bruce.

regards,

-arman-