Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:32:35 +0100
From:      Christopher Key <cjk32@cam.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remove ports dependencies

Ruben de Groot wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:53:39PM +0100, Christopher Key typed:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently tried to install vim from the ports collections, however I
>> didn't do it with 'WITHOUT_X11', and accordingly it went off and
>> installed X + presumably a whole load of dependencies which I really
>> don't want.  Is there any way to get a list of exactly what it added so
>> that I can go and remove it cleanly?
>>

> the command "pkg_deinstall -nR vim" (this command is port of the portupgrade
> package) will give you a list of all packages vim depends on. Removing the 'n'
> switch will actually upward-recursively deinstall these packages, excluding
> the ones that are needed by other packages.
> Then rebuild vim WITHOUT_X11 ;)
>
> cheers,
> Ruben

Thanks Ruben, portupgrade contained a lot more tools that I wasn't aware
of.  In the end, I ripped everything out and started afresh.

I do have another query though; pkg_cutleaves is supposed to show you a
list of of packages upon which nothing depends.  In theory this means
that there should be nothing in this list beyond the ports I've
explicitly installed. However, I do seem to have gained autoconf,
automake, gmake, help2man and libtool.  Am I right in thinking that
these were required for building / installing something at some point,
but that nothing would break if I were to remove them?

Regards,

Chris