Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 02:58:32 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        mario@aiis.net ("mario")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: networking

On 2 Dec 1999 16:30:08 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:
>I'm having trouble getting the network up on FreeBSD.  How do I know the =
>NIC is configured properly.  It doesn't seem to find it during the =
>installation.  It's an SMC NIC and that's the one I selected.  Am I =
>doing something wrong or did I miss something?  I'm new to configuring =
>BSD but I have used it for a while.  Any help would be greatly =
>appreciated.

Is your card listed in the HARDWARE.TXT file ? Is it ISA or PCI ?
dmesg | more
should show it. If it does not, its possible that
a) its not in the kernel.GENERIC and you will need to make a kernel with
the drivers for your NIC
b) if its an ISA card, you might have got the IRQ settings wrong
c) It might not be a supported card. If you can force the card to work in
ne2000 mode, then it might work with the ed driver.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)