Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:05:32 -0400
From:      "N.J. Thomas" <njt@ayvali.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /rescue/vi doesn't work without /usr (no terminal db)

* Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> [2005-08-25 17:10:37 +0300]:
> On 2005-08-25 10:04, "N.J. Thomas" <njt@ayvali.org> wrote:
> > In the meantime, how can I run /rescue/vi without /usr?
>
> I don't think you can.  It only needs a read-only /usr though, so if
> /usr is a local filesystem you can probably get away with:
>
> 	# mount -o ro /usr

Yeah, I was actually thinking of the (rare) case when /usr was not
accessible. This time it was, so I got away with it.

But I did find this in rescue(8) however:

    BUGS

        Most of the rescue tools work even in a fairly crippled system.
        The most egregious exception is the rescue version of vi(1),
        which currently requires that /usr be mounted so that it can
        access the termcap(5) files. Hopefully, a failsafe termcap(3)
        entry will eventually be added into the ncurses(3) library, so
        that /rescue/vi can be used even in a system where /usr cannot
        immediately be mounted.  In the meantime, the rescue version of
        the ed(1) editor can be used from /rescue/ed if you need to edit
        files, but cannot mount /usr.

I don't know how old this note is, but I hope the failsafe termcap will
be added soon.

Thomas

--
N.J. Thomas