Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:21:08 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware networking & sysmouse

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 10:06:04PM -0500, The Babbler wrote:

> And I gather that nobody's figued out how to turn off /dev/rtc by
> default?  I tried denying non-root users read permission, or granting
> them write permission, to /compat/linux/dev/rtc, but that didn't stop
> the 100% CPU problem.

I turned it off by deinstalling rtc with pkg_delete. You need the -f
(force removal) option because it is recorded to depend on vmware2.
After removal, I don't have 100% CPU usage anymore. It'll give you a
warning message on startup of the vmware guest that rtc isn't present,
but for the rest it works fine (NT4 and Win2000).

Karel.