Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:54:49 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata: printf on every spinup/spindown?

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln

On 2009-Mar-20 19:19:38 +0000, Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk> wrote:
>There's a reluctance to include code like this, I
>think because it bypasses the ATA driver and talks directly to the
>drive. Since the driver doesn't know what the drive's been told to do,
>it can't know to adjust timers etc. to wait for the disk to spin back
>up, for example.

This code is no worse than installing sysutils/ataidle - which also
bypasses the driver.

As it stands, FreeBSD out-of-the-box behaves in a way that adversely
impacts laptop HDD life - and correcting this requires that the
end-user both be aware of the problem and then find, install and
configure a port to work around this.  I am very uncomfortable with
this and would prefer to see the base system require less user
knowledge/intervention.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln