Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:51:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Cc:        sprice@hiwaay.net, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ports collection?

 * BTW, how shall we treat shareable packages (e.g. X11 and TeX fonts).
 * It's waste of time and space to build packages on each architecture.
 * Do we need ARCH_COMMON tag and packages-common directoy in addition
 * to packages-i386 and packages-alpha?

(Rolling eyes) I think you worry too much, Shimokawa-san.  I think
we can worry about those later.

 * Yes, it should be hard to fix many ports without commit access.

Ok, I'll ask core about it.  By the way, Steve, you seem to have an
account on beast.  If there is a problem, I can fix it.

 * I afraid it's difficult. It shouldn't be difficult to get cross compiler work,
 * but some ports may use their own bootstrap binaries (e.g. miniperl) which
 * cannot run on i386.

Well, "some" is not too bad.  If we can build most of them on i386
machines, then we can use real alphas to build the rest.

The thing is that we've now got some funding to put together a
"compilation farm" based on the method described in our paper.  It's
going to be something like 8 AMD K6-2 300's.  Since alphas are still
rather expensive, it's going to be much better if we can use those to
build alpha packages as well as those for i386.  (And maybe I can
write another paper. :)

 * According to:
 * ftp://www.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk
         ftp
 * they use lists "ONLY_FOR_ARCHS" and "NOT_FOR_ARCHS" and use
 * Makefile.${MACHINE_ARCH}, patch.${MACHINE_ARCH} and so on, as well.

Ok, I took a look.  Yes, that looks better.  I don't know when we'll
go to more than two archs, but it's just about as easy to use as
ONLY_FOR_ALPHA/BROKEN_ALPHA and infinitely more extendable.

It doesn't look too hard to merge, but what's ${MACHINE_ARCH}?  How's
it different from our ${ARCH} (!= uname -m)?  Is that the pc98/i386
thing?

Satoshi