Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:51:32 +0100
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/58588: port dns/bind9: PORTEPOCH must be increased

Doug Barton wrote:

> Synopsis: port dns/bind9: PORTEPOCH must be increased
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: dougb
> State-Changed-When: Mon Oct 27 13:16:17 PST 2003
> State-Changed-Why:
>
> I can't be responsible for the problems of other ports. :)
> The ports system won't allow 9.2.3rc4 as a version, and the
> other tools choke on 9.2.3.4 < 9.2.3, and I'm definitely not
> going to update portepoch, so the solutio has to be found
> elsewhere.

That's the way the port tools work. The FreeBSD Porter's Handbook
recommends using 9.2.3.r4 for 9.2.3rc4:
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-naming.html
and indeed:
# pkg_version -t 9.2.3.r4 9.2.3
<

People using portupgrade are missing the update to the release
version. What is the problem with bumping the PORTEPOCH?

Regards
    Oliver