Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 22:44:04 -0700
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   My cat crashed my BSD box

Here's a new one - this happened the other night. My cat likes to
sit
on my desk while I'm at my computer, which is fine, most of the
time.
Though she usually chooses the mouse pad as her favorite place to
sit
down, or lay down. She'll lay right on top of the mouse,
sometimes
even across the keypad part of the keyboard. I gave her an unused

mouse pad to sit on, but she doesn't like it.
So the other night she's laying there on the mouse pad, I get up
from
the desk and head down stairs to take the garbage out, and I here
lots
of beeping. You know the kind, the computer just beeps non-stop
and
very fast. I head back to my computer and see the monitor is all
wacked
out, horizontal lines flashing up and down like mad. Totally
hosed X.
I tried ctrl-alt-bkspc, no good, or so I thought, since
I couldn't see the
text on the screen to tell what is showed. I assumed it was at
the prompt
and entered, blindly, su and password and reboot, still no good.
I didn't
want to hit the reset button, but nothing would work. I went over
another bsd box (I have 3 of 'em) and telneted into the messed up
one,
and was able to reboot it from there, and all was well again.
Now the cat is back to laying on the mouse pad, she just pushes
the mouse
out of the way, or lays right on it, and purrs away. Strange.
Just thought I'd share that story, something a bit lighter than
the usual
tech related stuff.

--
Chip Wiegand