Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 15:08:46 -0400
From:      Alec Berry <alec@exit1.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   libtool?

I have been having a number of problems lately trying to install software on a FreeBSD 4.3 system. The key program I tried to install is AxKit. It required a number of other packages, so I went to work installing them. Almost every prerequisite program gave me fits. It seems there is some sort of issue with FreeBSD's linker? For example, after installing expat, several packages would not compile. They would choke in the configure script with "you need to install expat". I re-installed expat into /usr/lib instead of /usr/local/lib, but that did not help. Fortunately, several of the packages were available in the ports collection-- but not all. I finaly got it all working after finding a page that someone wrote with some tweaks to the Makefile.PL for AxKit.

The errors and warnings all invloved setting various environment variables (LD_LIBRARY_PATH and so forth), using libtool (not sure what that is, but it comes with a few of the packages I was having problems with), or using options to the configure script ("-L/usr/lib" and so on). None of these work-- my only success was altering the Makefile by trial and error.

Is this some new trend? Is there some simple (please) way to reconfigure FreeBSD so that these problems do not happen?

alec

--
| Vice President  &&  Chief Technology Officer \
| *    Exit1, Incorporated-- providers of    * |
| **     Expert Information Technology      ** |
| http://www.exit1.com/ | Phone: (703)709-7222 |
| mailto:alec@exit1.com | Fax:   (703)709-1410 |