Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:10:02 -0000
From:      stuart@bh90210.net
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell I8000 + FreeBsd 4.3 + Newbie = HELP!

Dear Dell FreeBSD Users:

Let me first declare my overall newbieness to FreeBSD, though I am a
system administrator of 15 years. I am conversant in AIX, Solaris,
Linux, HP-UX, etc. (but not FreeBSD)!?!?

While down at DEFCON-9 this last weekend, I picked up a copy of
FreeBSD 4.3, and have been itching to futz with it. I installed it (I
think), so that it boots up in text mode.

I know the issues I had to surmount with Linux and the Dell I8K, so
rather than loose more hairs, I am going to ask for advice in advance.

a) PCMCIA issues?

b) How do I get XFree86 going (this I tryed, and well, I am still
asking you how!)?

c) Sound?

d) CD-RW/DVD?

e) Getting 1600x1200 (ATI M4 32MB card)?

f) Intel built in ethernet board, will it work?

g) WinModem (ActionTec), will it work?

h) LS-120?

Anything I may have overlooked?

First thing I am looking to do is get from a text console to using X,
after that the rest is free game for any takers.

One other question:

I noticed that FreeBSD has an "openboot prom" like lilo type program.
However, I like lilo, and would like to know if I can use both? Can I
use lilo, to point to that other boot loader? Are there instructions
for this?

I used to be a SunOS user, and the idea of having BSD running on the
laptop if not just for fun, is quite exciting.

Thank you all in advance,

Stuart
Beverly Hills, California, USA