Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:17:37 +0100
From:      Matthias Bartels <mbartels@genie.de>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   performance problem

Servus,

i have a serious performance problem with my harddisk.
My Harddisk runs as U/DMA 100 with soft updates enabled.

I used the time command to measure the time that FreeBSD needs to
extract the actual ports collection (13MB) and it takes over 13 min to
complete the task. But the user time was less then 1 second!!!

i have the same problem while removing files.

During the execution i used the top command and it figured out that
the priority is -2 and sometimes -6. is that normal???

the state always switched between getblk and biowr

The CPU idle is near 99%

could anybody help me?

Thank You
M.Bartels