Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:36:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael R. Rudel" <mrr@aerosmith.dyn.ml.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, bde@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /boot.foo madness

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I made my position clear some time back; while the bootstrap continues
> > to preferentially read ufs filesystems, all the boot-time components
> > should be in a separate directory.  If we assume that this is /boot,
> > then there would be no pain at all in updating /boot/help.default etc.
> > when /usr/mdec was updated.
>
> Hmmm.  It's a slightly divergent topic, but I guess I should also say
> that I favor putting these new foo.config files into a /boot
> subdirectory here and now before they get doc'd in too many places.
> I think too many new files have gone into / at this point.
>
> 					Jordan

Speaking of too many files in /, I don't like that when you install a new
system, it puts (if you don't mail/etc/blah the survey) new-registration
in /. Just seems kind of kludgy to me. ;) A better place, IMO, would be
something like /usr.

--
Michael R. Rudel -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- mrr@aerosmith.dyn.ml.org
FreeBSD aerosmith.dyn.ml.org 3.0-CURRENT