Date:      Thu, 14 Apr 2011 05:35:24 -0400
From:      Peter Lai <cowbert@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   uplink bandwidth < 1/3 downlink bandwidth?

This is probably more of a layer1/2/management issue, but someone in
IRC told me to ask the mailinglist about it so here it goes:

On a client running <Atheros 5212> AR2413 hardware, the uplink
bandwith appears to be very bad compared to the downlink. The downlink
I can get almost theoretical-real speed, 19Mbps/1.9Mib/s from an Aruba
centralized wifi net with WPA2, but uplink to the same AP runs at
barely 3Mbps/300Kib/s. I have a passive 9dbi duck antenna connected to
my pci card and I get s/n of 82/96 according to ifconfig wlan0 list
scan and I have set the transmitter to txpower 30 and ifconfig reports
OFDM capable at 54Mbps. Again, I can pull downlink pretty fast, and
even when I'm pulling this traffic I am pretty lag free (simultaneous
ping from the client to the aggregation router only increases by 50ms
at most), but when I upload my ping goes through the roof (up to
3000ms) and it looks like my uplink bandwidth is overutilized. The
speeds are measured by dd at the client. Any 802.11 gurus know what
might be up with this? I'm pretty sure it's not FreeBSD specific but
maybe I can still be pointed in a direction (maybe it's a traffic
shaping policy on the AP or something).