Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 01:42:14 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "J.M. Warenda" <warendaj@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: CVSup and Kernel Sources

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> types:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 04:03:28PM -0400, J.M. Warenda wrote:
> >     What src tags do I need just to CVS the kernel sources?  I'm guessing
> > src-sys, src-crypto-sys, src-include, and src-lib?  Just wasn't sure, and
> > didn't see the info anywhere so I thought I'd ask, figure this should be a
> > simple question for you guys.
> [...]
> Be careful though, because you can't get away with only building a
> kernel from newer sources and expect your system to stay working.
> FreeBSD is a unified kernel + userland.

To clarify, you sometimes can't build a new kernel with an old
userland. The kernel build depends on the current userland build
tools. Once you get it build, installing a new kernel with an old
userland may cause things to break, with the likelyhood and amount of
breakage both increasing as the time difference between them
increases.

For the record, going the other way - an old kernel on a new userland
- is worse, as kernels are generally expect to support old features,
but can't support features that didn't exist when they were built.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.