Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:11:32 -0500
From:      Philip Kizer <pckizer@nostrum.com>
To:        Jason Denton <denton@CS.ColoState.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UMASS storage device

Jason Denton <denton@CS.ColoState.EDU> wrote:
><snip> - I'm trying to get a USB compact flash card reader working

That would be the "SanDisk" reader?

>Exactly what devices do I need in the kernel? da and scbus... is pass
>required too? Why does the usb stuff require the scsi drivers and how does
>not having a scsi adapter card installed (or compilied into the
>kernel) affect this? Any other kernel devices required?

Well, I have a SCSI card, so I have a few SCSI options in my kernel in
general.  I would think all you would need would be the following, though:

device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required)
device		da		# Direct Access (disks)

In addition to the:

device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da

>What nodes do I need to make in /dev? /dev/da0c says its not configured,
>there does not appear to be a /dev/umass0 and MAKEDEV does not know how to
>do it. How do I setup /dev?

Just add something like this to your /etc/fstab:

/dev/da0s1	/mnt/camera	msdos	rw,noauto	0	0

and then you can:

mkdir /mnt/camera
mount /mnt/camera

Be sure to 'umount /mnt/camera' before pulling the card out.

>Is camcontrol required to rescan the bus everytime I change
>cards? Everytime the system boots? Or just everytime I plug the reader
>into the usb port? When the camcontrol command wants a bus, what do I give
>it?

As long as you leave the SanDisk attached, you shouldn't have to perform
any camcontrol(8) commands.

>What device node does this thing show up on?

/dev/da0s1 [Where the 0 may differ if you have other SCSI devices], see the
fstab entry above for an easy way of accessing the cards.

If you do not have the device, be sure to perform a:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV da0s1

-Philip

--