Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:49:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: One-floppy FreBSD + rich networking

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Tom Bartol wrote:

> > > Can FreeBSD run from read-only media?  Aren't there some files in /etc
> > > that need to be writable at run-time?
> >
> > I think it's pretty close.  You need a writable /var & /tmp, but apart
> > from /etc/motd there doesn't appear to be anything else.
> >

> O.K. How about this:  would it be possible to use an mfs for /var.  Of
> course, using an mfs for /tmp is trivial but /var needs to contain certain
> subdirs.

Hmm... The setup I used gives you almost identical results. All programs
reside on MFS, and setup is loaded from floppy on startup (which is then
unmounted and can be pulled out of the drive).

Andrzej Bialecki

abial@warman.org.pl  | if(halt_per_mth > 0) { fetch("http://www.freebsd.org") }
Research & Academic  | "Be open-minded, but don't let your brains to fall out."
Network in Poland    | All of the above (and more) is just my personal opinion.