Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 19:19:55 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <andy@geek4food.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        John Holland <john@zoner.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hylafax security audit

--------
Your message dated: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:05:36 EDT

>Probably not.  But someone might prove me wrong.

Well, I believe a number of people are /considering/ it, although
no-one's actually coming up with patches yet.

Maybe we just need a leader (baaa!).

:-)

>No, the hylafax people are completely ignoring this problem.

There is, apparently, a known cgi-bin exploit in the docs for the current beta,
which isn't fixed yet in CVS. *sigh*

It's my take that they'd welcome some people subscribing to their
devel list and helping out, but that security isn't their main
concern.

Actually, I think it makes sense to lock down a dedicated server and only
provide restricted logins on that box - which seems to me to remove
most of the security issues.

For a SOHO workstation install, HylaFAX is kinda overkill anyway, and other,
simpler, software exists (like sendfax and efax).

I'm not saying that that's their stance, just an observation.

Cheers,

AS