Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:24:09 +0800
From:      nelsont@switch.aust.com
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: Kernel thread system nomenclature.

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 04:23:06PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> > 2) The second structure owns the scheduling parameters.
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

> I think Mike's point about not naming this kseg was good (to avoid
> confusion with kernel segment).
>
> scheduling param, schedparam?

    ``schedparam'' gets my vote.

> Other than renaming kseg to something else, the names we were using
> previously seemed OK.

    Agreed.  The whole notion of SAs and KSEs were derived from research
    papers based on these naming schemes.  I fail to see the justificat-
    ion in obfuscating the details of our new implementation by sporting
    a naming scheme completely unrelated to its original heritage.

    I don't think there's enough merit in deducing a new naming scheme
    when there's nothing really wrong with the naming scheme originally
    devised by the researchers.

    If it conceptually already exists in the kernel, but is just having
    its implementation reworked (i.e. struct proc), keep the name to be
    consistent with UNIX kernel convention.

    If it's new to the kernel (KSEs, SAs, KSEGs etc), I say keep the
    naming scheme as close to its theoretical/conceptual heritage as
    possible.

> Dan Eischen

    Regards,

        Trent.

--
Trent Nelson - Software Engineer - nelsont@switch.aust.com
       "A man with unlimited enthusiasm can achieve