Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2019 15:40:57 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   firm date: armv5 support removal scheduled for 2019-12-31

Greetings,

There's been much talk of removing armv5 support from FreeBSD in FreeBSD
13. This talk has been ongoing since before 12 was branched among the key
arm developers. The compromise for the FreeBSD 12 was to have one final
FreeBSD armv5 release for a few straggling users that needed (or think they
needed) this release and it would be removed before FreeBSD 13.

The reason to remove this is due to the increased burden armv5 has
presented on the system. We have a separate pmap for v5 which has known or
suspected bugs relating to unaligned I/O. No developers have the armv5
boards in service anymore. They have ceased being relevant to FreeBSD's
success with the plethera of armv7 boards that are on the market. No new
armv5 boards have been made in a long time. The FreeBSD project hasn't
produce armv5 binaries for 12.x at all (the binaries produced earlier could
not have possibly booted, though the userland binaries worked if you could
otherwise install the system). Finally, llvm's lld doesn't support armv5.
It would ease integration if we didn't have to worry about a fallback for
armv5. It would be one fewer dependency on the old binutils toolchain in
the tree.

So, taking all these things together, the time has come to schedule removal
of armv5 support from FreeBSD. The end of the year seems like a good date
to select for planning this removal, getting whatever notices should be put
into place and warning people about the next release in the most formal way
possible (more informal warnings have been going on for over a year,
starting with armv4 support removal in 12).

I'm posting this now to gather feedback and, if necessary, create a
checklist of things to do before removal.

Warner