Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 12:31:43 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates & fsck

On Sat, Sep 19, 1998 at 08:02:00AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> That you are seeing these problems implies that the bwrite ordering
> guarantees that the driver must provide (i.e., that the blocks will
> be written in the order requested, and that the writes will not
> return as completed until the data has been committed to the disk)
> are not being honored.

Given that most drives don't honour these guarantees [1] it may happen
even without a problem with the driver.

[1] This marks the point where somebody comes runing, waving standards
documents and becoming more and more red in the face, while I say
"Yes, I know they say the drives are supposed to - but in fact, the
drives don't actually *do* what they're supposed to."

Eivind.