Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 07:00:37 -0700
From:      pascal@netcom.com (Richard A Childers)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw
Subject:   How Many IPs Can An Interface Take ?

"    How many IP addresses can I assign to a single network interface
 under 2.0-950412?  I wrote a script to add 57 unused IP addresses from
 our class C to the ed1 interface on my FreeBSD box, and it responded
 to all of them.  What's the limit?  255?  Unlimited?"

Hmm. Are you sure you didn't sequentially assign 57 separate addresses,
one after another, to the same device, so that when you were done, you
left it configured to the IP of the last address you'd ifconfig'd it with ?

Just curious ...

-- richard

( wading through several hundred freebsd messages and still waiting for the
  digestification of this increasingly miserable subscription ... )

        Truth : the most deadly weapon known to civilization. Possession
        forbidden by employers, governments, and authorities, across the
        known universe. Violation of this regulation punishable by death.

   richard childers                                         pascal@netcom.com