Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:32:43 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Morten-Christian Bernson <freebsd-questions@mortencb.cx>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .. /var/log/mqueue low on space msgs

Morten-Christian Bernson wrote:

> I don`t believe I had anything important in /var, but I can`t boot without
> the /var dir set up properly, so my question is... How do I restore my
> /var dir?  I have no backup (stupid me I guess).
>
> I think I will backup before following any usefull tips and tricks here
> later.

	A) ALWAYS have good backups before doing any system administration
tasks. No one should need to remind you about that.

	B) You can use mergemaster to generate a virginal /var directory. Just
do 'mergemaster -v -t /tmp/temproot' then after the directories are
created hit Ctrl-C, go to /tmp/temproot and 'cp -rP var /'. This his
assuming that you have properly set up your symlink from /usr/var to
/var.

Good luck,

Doug
--
"While the future's there for anyone to change, still you know it seems,
 it would be easier sometimes to change the past"

     - Jackson Browne, "Fountain of Sorrow"