Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:31:41 -0500
From:      Michael Remski <mremski@ellacoya.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   shutdown -r and reboot

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this:
Fresh install from 4.2 release ISO image
everything installs ok,
custom kernel: Basically GENERIC with ide stripped out (all SCSI system)
boots and runs fine, usually in X
linux emulation loaded at boot time
type in either "shutdown -r now" or "reboot"
and we get the normal messages upto and including the "Uptime:",
then the machine hangs.
If you boot -s, then both commands work,
I put a couple of printfs in kern_shutdown.c and kern_module.c
if linux is loaded at boottime, it seems to hang.
if linux is NOT loaded at boottime, it seems ok (actually reboots)
if linux is loaded at boottime, but manually unloaded (kldunload -n
linux.ko),
it hangs.
hard reset button, the machine reboots fine, no fsck or anything indicating

a problem shutting down.
if the linux module is loaded at boottime, it never seems to get back to
anything in kern_shutdown.c after the
"EVOKE_HANDLER(shutdown_post_sync...)"

ASUS P5-B, amd k63, adaptec 2930 and buslogic 948, no IDE devices at all,
pci SCSI cards and video, isa SMC elite 16 ethernet (ed driver).

Suggestions or clues on where to look next are welcome.

"To keep in silence our designs, my friends would think I was a nut"

	Peter Gabriel, Solsbury Hill