Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:38:52 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        zgabe <zgabe84@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.1 IPv6 multihoming problem

zgabe wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using laptop, FreeBSD 7.1 connecting to two ISPs (wlan and ppp) and I
> have IPv6 addresses. 'netstat -rn' says there is only one default gateway
> (for example wlan's default gateway). My problem is the following:
> If I ping the ppp tunnel from an other computer, my laptop recieves the
> ICMP6 echo request over the ppp tunnel, but it answers over the wlan
> interface. I read some similar posts (only ipv4) about forwarding with IPFW,
> but I was unable to solve my problem until now.
>
> I built a kernel with the following options:
> options IPFIREWALL
> options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
> options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
>
> and put these lines to my rc.conf
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="open"
>
> as the handbook says.
>
> I use the following command as root:
> ipfw add 101 fwd pppgateway ipv6 from pppaddress to any
>
> (pppgateway and pppaddress ipv6 addresses)
>
> It throws "getsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid argument" error!
>
> I have tried to set the following variables but the problem is still the
> same.
> sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 and
> sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1
>
> Can anybody help me?

the theory with multihoming is that unless you are the holder of a
class-C (/24) you basically have to do it using NAT.
You have to make some subset of  your traffic use one NAT while the
remainder uses another (or is untranslated).
Unfortunately we don't have NAT for IPV6. I don't know how that
gets solved..