Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 17:46:01 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        drifter@stratos.net, Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Jun 27,  3:46am, drifter@stratos.net wrote:
> Subject: Re: Does it's true?
> On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 06:33:11AM +0000, Frank Pawlak wrote:
> > On Jun 27,  4:33pm, John Birrell wrote:
> > > Subject: Re: Does it's true?
> > >
> > > Nope. Carrying a gun here is very rare. Our government has just spent
> > > hundreds of millions of dollars buying back people's guns that are now
> > > illegal.
> > >
> > > This week we had a court ruling that reinforces the state law that you
> > > have to have a shooter's licence to play with paint-ball guns on private
> > > ranges. Next it'll be water pistols too.
> > >

> > Overall you are probably better for it.  In the US there are entirely too
many
> > guns walking around.  Some of these kids with guns are better armed than I
was
>   ^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
>
> 	Interesting choice of words, possibly indicative of perspective?
> 	Personification of guns, or "guns walking around", is probably
> a phrase uttered by a gun-control advocate, whereas "criminals walking
> around with guns" is maybe more likely to be spoken of by an NRA advocate.
> 	Now, "kids walking around with guns," that's a toss-up!
>
> 	-Rob "Not to put words in to anybody's mouth :)"

It is interesting that you did an in-depth analysis of my analogy.  I was
taking neither of the positions arrived at in your deduction.  The is no
question about the issue of personification of guns in the US.  The citizens
have been armed to the teeth since the Revolutionary War.  Gun possession is
covered by the Constitution.  So far all well and good.

Guns walking around probably refers to the guns per capita ratio in the US,
which has increased rapidly in the last twenty years or so, and to the types of
weapons that are being carried.

By your response, I suspect that you are coming from one side or another of
those positions that you put into my mouth.

Frank