Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:41:26 -0700
From:      Bruce Caruthers <bkc-freebsdlists@dreamfire.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel G965 chipset?

On Fri Jul 20, 2007, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Garrett Cooper wrote:
> > Bruce Caruthers wrote:

> >> Now that the parts have arrived and I actually have
> >> the machine (physically) set up, I am trying to
> >> install from the downloaded ISO images (6.2-Release,
> >> downloaded 7/20).
> >>
> >> Each boot option hangs at different places (standard
> >> stops after identifying the disks as ad4 and ad8,
> >> ACPI turned off stops at md0, and verbose logging
> >> actually gets to the first menu, but no longer
> >> accepts keyboard input at that point -- might be
> >> hung, since couldn't warm boot from the keyboard,
> >> either, at that point).
> >>
> >> Were you able to do any of the install without the
> >> backported driver, or did you generate a custom
> >> install disk?
> >>
> >> Or, would it be better if I try making the boot
> >> floppies and installing over ftp?
> >>
> >> Any suggestions, or perhaps a downloadable ISO
> >> image, since you already went through this?  :)
> >>
> >> I have 2xSATA300 disks as RAID-1, and an ATAPI DVD
> >> drive for installing.  And an old 3.5" floppy drive
> >> I found on one of my parts heaps.
> >>
> >> (mobo: Intel DG965WH)
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help!
> >>    -bkc
> >>

> > Try a 6.2 snapshot (if that's not what you meant by downloaded 7/20).
> > If that fails, try 7-CURRENT snapshots (most recent ones, i.e. over
> > the last month, are the best idea). There were a variety of fixes made
> > to USB input and control (if you're using a USB keyboard instead of a
> > PS/2 one).
> > -Garrett
>
> Another idea -- update your BIOS if possible via bootdisk. There were
> most likely some BIOS / chipset fixes done in the past couple months
> which will benefit your board.
> -Garrett

I already checked, and my board was shipped with the
latest BIOS updates (5/10). But thanks for the suggestion.

I had downloaded the 6.2-Release ISOs, I just mentioned
the date in case anything had been updated in the
versions online (although I assume they would have been
noted as such).

How stable/reliable will a 6.2 snapshot or 7-current be?
This machine is intended to replace my primary home server
(SAMBA to Windows and Mac, web development sandbox, name
server, etc.) so data integrity and reasonable uptime
reliability are key.  (My old 4.2 server is maxed out on
disks, and has slowly been failing erratically.)

Thanks!
   -bkc