Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:50:11 -0700
From:      jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
Subject:   ip assignments

Hello;
I have a question about ip address assignments to multiple
network interfaces on the same machine (running, in this case,
FreeBSD v6.2).
Situation:
I have built a machine with two network interfaces and tried
assigning local addresses in the same subnet mask:
192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 for example to each of the
interfaces and only one of the interfaces will respond to
a connection attempt (via ftp or ssh for example). I found
that each of the interfaces have to be assigned an address
in a different subnet. for them to both be usable.
Q: Is this characteristic of tcp/ip in general, or specific
     to FreeBSD?
I have created aliases for different addresses in the same
subnet on one interface and have had that work.
Thanks for knowledgeable responses;
Jeff K