Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:18:13 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Nomenclature

--DO5DiztRLs659m5i

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:18:21PM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	Is FreeBSD-4.3 known by any other nomenclature?  I am
> having a discussion with someone who says that it has all kinds of
> security vulnerabilities besides the obvious ones that are
> created by people who operate their systems in a dangerous
> manner.  This person sent me this long list of vulnerabilities,
> some of which mention OpenBSD2.x or some other version of OpenBSD
> that isn't anywhere close to 4.3.
>=20
> 	I frankly haven't heard anything regarding
> vulnerabilities that mention FreeBSD-4.3 or even OpenBSD-4.3,
> assuming that is the same OS.

There are one or two known problems with 4.3-RELEASE which are
documented in the advisories on http://www.freebsd.org/security,
however it sounds like your friend is either trying to scare you away
from FreeBSD for their own purposes, or doesn't understand what
they're talking about.

Kris

--DO5DiztRLs659m5i

--DO5DiztRLs659m5i--