Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:51:23 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        tony@nua.ie
Cc:        Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: slow connections over ethernet

Tony Byrne wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Apr 2000 00:05:16 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:
>
> >I'm running a 10Mb ethernet and recently it has started taking a very logn
> >time to connect and log into one system from another.  These systems are
> >all FreeBSD 4.0 of various dates, most recently April 6.  I have an Ftp
> >login, from the most recent system to a slightly older system that just
> >got logged in.  It took about 30 seconds to connect and ask for
> >UID/passwd, it took about 2 minutes or mopre to get logged in.  Once
> >logged in, every thing seems fine.
> >
> >Any thoughts, things I should look at?
>
> Sounds like a reverse DNS problem to me.  I've seen similar long
> delays in getting a connection going.  Once logged in then everything
> seems fine.  In each case, I've traced the problem down to the server
> not being able to reverse resolve the client's hostname.  The delay
> I've seen is the amount of time it takes for the DNS lookup to timeout
> so that the connection can proceed.

I had another one. I was getting 8-9KB/s but when I added tun0 to my
version 4.0-S network_interfaces, the rate jumped to MB/s.

Kent

> Regards,
>
> Tony.
>
> --

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html