Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:45:20 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Mitch Vincent <mitch@venux.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot loader

Mitch Vincent wrote:

> I've been trying to install a dual boot FreeBSD / Linux system, I haven't
> ever had trouble doing that before -- however this time it seems that it
> just won't boot.
>
> I have the FreeBSD boot loader in the MBR, it will boot Linux fine when I
> hit F1 but if I try hitting F2 (FreeBSD) it just beeps, nothing more..
>
> I've installed and re-installed FreeBSD.. No luck..
>
> The system is a Dual Celeron, with a Maxtor ATA/66 30 gig drive, split in
> two (that was interesting with Linux -- had to use Gentus to get ATA/66
> support on install).. Still, that shouldn't effect anything, should it?

Is the Linux partiton bigger than about 8.5GB?  If so you may need to
install FreeBSD 4.1 to get FreeBSD's boot loader to see your FreeBSD
partition.

What may be happening is your FreeBSD partition starts beyond the 1024th
cylinder on the disk, which the old (FreeBSD 4.0 and previous) versions
of the boot loader can't handle.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org