Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:24:07 -0600
From:      "Raja Velu" <raja@micronetusa.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sendmail - MX record resolution error

Hi,

What does this error mean?

reject=450 4.7.1 <user1@company1.com>... Can not check MX records for
recipient host company1.com

Does it mean that the domain "company1.com" does not have a mail server
associated with it?

If so, how do I check if there exists an MX record for a particular domain.
I used to ping to mail.<domainname> and see if it resolves. That apparently
is not the right approach as the emails sent to a user today, generated the
above error even though I'm able to ping mail.<domainname> for his email
address.

Thanks for your time.

Rgds,

Raja Velu