Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:48:22 +0100
From:      Gabriel Dragffy <gabe@dragffy.com>
To:        infofarmer@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is sendmail in the core of FreeBSD?

On 22 Sep 2007, at 12:34, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 11:55:51AM +0100, Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
>> Just been wondering about this. If you do a standard install of
>> FreeBSD it
>> includes things such as a basic FTP daemon, all the various
>> utilities such
>> as df, ls, etc. SSHD etc. I assum these are all in FreeBSDs core, as
>> developed in the same CVS repo. Having read the mails on this list
>> for
>> several weeks it seems obvious that most people regard Postfix or
>> EXIM to
>> be the best MTAs, so I'm wondering why is sendmail the MTA that is
>> integral
>> to FreeBSD? Wouldn't it be ace to have the default one be Postfix or
>> something?
>
> At the time sendmail was integrased into FreeBSD other MTA's were
> pretty much out of the question. Ever since then, the integration
> has been very well-maintained (thanks to gshapiro) and changing
> the default MTA to something else is simply not worth the pain
> that comes with it.
>
> Personally I use Postfix wherever I need an MTA, it only takes a
> few minutes to install it from ports. The benefit of ports is you
> can configure all the options you need. We can't keep mysql
> client and dovecot sasl in the base system, most people would
> have to reinstall Postfix from ports even if it was the default
> MTA in our base.

I see, thank you for the heads-up. It is interesting. Personally I
try to use the software that comes with the OS where possible.
Especially in the case of FreeBSD, as I find the core software is
rock solid and I love that. I think I'll learn how to configure
sendmail and try sticking with it. At least it is documented somewhat
in the handbook.

Many thanks to all

Regards

gabriel