Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:04:58 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>
Subject:   Re: Looking for 'ideal' web-server partitions

--7cm2iqirTL37Ot+N

> Kiffin Gish wrote:
>=20
> I want to create a web server for a few personal web sites (virtual
> named hosts) using Apache, Perl, PHP and MySQL. Maybe later using
> mod_perl and
> ssl.
>
> No mail servers or other complicated stuff, just a plain-vanilla web
> server for the general public and an average visitor traffic of below
> 1000 per day.
>
> I have 40G to use up on an AMD Sempron 1300+ with 512MB and was just
> wondering what would be a good way to divvy up the partitions. I was
> thinking something like this:
>
> SWAP		1024M
> / 		1057M
> /db		6.3G
> /usr		24G
> /var		4.2G
> /www		42G
>
> I've heard arguments for and against a separate /db and/or /tmp
> partition as well as using a /home. Also I see that there is a
> /usr/local/www directory already so perhaps the /www partition is not
> required. Is a separate /db
> partition really needed?
>
> I'm pretty confused and would like to setup my web server the right
> way once and for all. Are there any standard recipes and/or guides to
> figuring this out or is it just a bunch of guess work?
>
> How does this look?

If I could make one quick suggestion, I would urge you to attempt to
mount you various partitions in more standard locations.  For example,
instead of mounting your "db" partition at /db, why not mount it at
/var/db?  And instead of mounting your "www" partition at /www, how
about at /var/www, or the FreeBSD standard of /usr/local/www?  Having
these specific directories represent a separate filesystem is fine, and
perhaps desirable, but having them all mounted on root makes for a less
standard filesystem layout, which in general is not a good thing.

Nathan

--7cm2iqirTL37Ot+N

--7cm2iqirTL37Ot+N--