Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:05:42 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        White Hat <pigskin_referee@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Users Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating GCC

In the last episode (Mar 22), White Hat said:
> FreeBSD-6.2
>
> The installed version is gcc-3.4.6, while the ports have version
> 4.3.0 available. If I install the newer version will it replace the
> older version? If not and I don't think it will, how do I force the
> use of the newer version of Gcc when making a port? I tried Googling
> for this but without success. The FreeBSD handbook doesn't seem to
> have any available information on this either.

Port versions of gcc install into /usr/local/bin with a version-number
suffix.  So the gcc43 port will install gcc43, g++43, etc.

If you want a port to build with a particular version of gcc, add a
USE_GCC=4.3 line to the port Makefile.  This is mentioned in the
"USE_*" section of

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-depend.html

--
	Dan Nelson