Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:34:52 +0900
From:      NOKUBI Hirotaka <hnokubi@yyy.or.jp>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   location of MP Configuration Table on NEC PC98

I'm developping NEC PC98 version of FreeBSD (we call it FreeBSD(98))
together with KATO-san, TAKAHASHI-san. There are some SMP model PC98,
and I found that FreeBSD(98) with some modification can run on these
as well as Windows NT.

But, because MP Configuration Table is placed at the top of system
physical memory, current FreeBSD implementation can't handle it.
It comforms to Multiprocessor Specification V.1.4, if FreeBSD could
handle this, we would be very happy.

Is it possible to change implementation?

My idea is like this. In the current implementation, pmap_bootstrap()
refers cpu_apic_address, so mptable_pass1() needs to be called before that.

It could be better that the procedure which maps APIC to virtual space
is a function, say mp_map_apic(), not a part of pmap_bootstrap(). Then,
mptable_pass1() can use CMAP[12] to read MP Configuration Table at the
top of system physical memory.

----
NOKUBI Hirotaka
Fingerprint20 = DEBC 0793 7CD6 92F1 0A1F  A792 9E2F EEEE A41B 171D