Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 22:15:55 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Joshua Lokken <joloxbox@attbi.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: failure to enable atapi dma

> From:          Joshua Lokken <joloxbox@attbi.com>
> Subject:       failure to enable atapi dma
> Date:          Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:41:16 -0700

> The HDD (since it is ATA100 compliant, and the only device on the bus)  is
> running UDMA100 no problem.  I would like to playback DVDs, etc. and I've
> tried putting the following entry in sysctl.conf:
>
> hw.ata.atapi_dma=1
>
> however, the atapi drives still show PIO4 mode.

Try putting it in /boot/loader.conf instead. This is a "read only"
sysctl so it needs to be set before loading the kernel (if my
memories from lurking on this list are correct).

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.