Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 01:20:36 +0100
From:      Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: feature list journalled fs

>   I am under the impression that you can only enlarge a vinum volume if it
> in a RAID 0 configuration (concatenation). Obviously, it would be very
> difficult to enlarge a RAID 1 or RAID 5 configuration as it would require
> restriping the data across all disks; I'm not familiar with any product,
> hardware or software, that can do this.

Solaris DiskSuite almost extends RAID 5 configruations. You can add disks to a
RAID 5 set, but the extra disks will only hold data, no parity. I think that
it is a strange mix of RAID 5 and concatenation. All data is still parity
protected. It might not be as fast as a true RAID 5, but it can be very usful.