Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:10:10 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        RPD <zula@distance.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: copying/duplicating disks: replacing IDE with scsi

In the last episode (Jun 24), Doug White said:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Sue Blake wrote:
>
> > > -R is recursively copy, -p is preserve permissions.
> >
> > So why is copying sometimes done with tar instead of cp?
>
> Tar remembers to preserve permissions, and cp won't unless you run it
> -with Rp.

Well, to be nitpicky, tar won't remember either, unless you add a 'p'
to the extract command.

But by far the biggest reason to copy with a tar|tar pipeline is the
overlapping I/O.  While the first tar is reading, the last tar is
writing.  A plain "cp -pR" can only be reading or writing at any one
time.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com