Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2018 11:10:12 -0600
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_Meltdown_=e2=80=93_Spectre?=
References:  <f9cc484e-be92-7aff-52fe-38655e85dbaa@columbus.rr.com> <CAH78cDqPnOUGoU=6x-BiugnpjmjYcd=CZS3fSNaX5tq-Uvma7g@mail.gmail.com> <bc9ad15b-a718-b901-76fa-bc43ce0c1f1a@columbus.rr.com> <3AECDC7F-8838-4C09-AC7F-117DFBAA326C@sigsegv.be> <20180108085756.GA3001@c720-r314251> <CAGBxaXnSRwtS=mbdsePyKvyZjTpu1tvo2O61SW60yQfdDJH4gA@mail.gmail.com> <48211515-cc6b-522b-ccd2-4d0c1f6a2072@columbus.rr.com> <CAGBxaXm=6NbZ%2Bcz6WGB7YY7NT_%2BxOhdxb17ORTsQs5e7RvqKaQ@mail.gmail.com> <44279dcb-7b15-865a-ca71-938b3832d0e7@columbus.rr.com>

On 01/08/18 06:53, Baho Utot wrote:

> On 1/8/2018 7:37 AM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:28 AM, Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com
>> <mailto:baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On 1/8/2018 4:15 AM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>>
>>         On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 3:57 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de
>>         <mailto:guru@unixarea.de>> wrote:
>>
>>             As I side note, and not related to FreeBSD: My Internet
>>             server is run by
>>             some webhosting company (www.1blu.de <http://www.1blu.de>),
>>             they use Ubuntu servers and since
>>             yesterday they have shutdown SSH access to the servers
>>             argumenting that
>>             they want
>>             protect my (all's) servers against attacks of Meltdown and
>>             Spectre.
>>
>>             Imagine, next time we have to shutdown all IOT gadgets...
>>

>>            Not always possible for things like medical test
>>         equipment/devices.  For
>>         example I maintain a specialized EMR for interacting with Dr.
>>         prescribed
>>         remote cardiac monitors.   Having those off line is not an
>>         option since
>>         they are used to detect if the patient needs something more
>>         serious like a
>>         pace maker (also almost always a IoT device these days) surgery.
>>
>>         The actual monitoring is done on Windows and was attacked by some
>>         ransomeware via a bit coin miner that somehow installed it
>>         self.   Since
>>         all the users claim that they don't read email/upload/download
>>         executables
>>         or any other of the known attack vectors this leaves something
>> like
>>         Meltdown or Spectre.   We have also detected issues on the
>>         CentOS that has
>>         the non-medical corporate site on it.   The only machine left on
>>         touched on
>>         the physical server (running some bare metal virtualization
>>         tool) is the
>>         FreeBSD machine that runs the actual EMR we wrote.
>>
>>         TL;DR -- It seems Linux and Windows already have issues with
>>         these holes
>>         but I have seen little to no evidence that FreeBSD (when run as
>>         a host).
>>         In general when ever any virtualization issue (like the bleed
>>         through on
>>         Qemu last year) comes up FreeBSD is the one OS that seems to be
>>         immune
>>         (thanks to good design of the OS and bhyve).   This is the main
>>         reason why
>>         I chose FreeBSD over Linux as the reference host for PetiteCloud.
>>

>>     This is not operating system specific,  read the papers on theses
>>     two. it attacks the cpu, usally through a JIT
>>

>> Please learn a little OS design theory before making insane claims.
>> Specifically it *ONLY* effects OS's that rely on the specific CPU
>> architecture (vs. a generic one).  Namely if you strictly partition
>> the page table between userland and kernel space (which xxxBSD has
>> always done and Linux has not) and don't use any CPU specific
> [...]

Hi Baho,

This above information aside, your logic somewhat escapes me. On one
hand you are expecting kernel fix (are you?) which FreeBSD is working on
(the sooner the better!). On the other hand you insist on conclusion
that this trouble is independent on operating system, implying, FreeBSD
is in the same level of danger than any other operating system.

The truth may be somewhere in between. That is: yes, all systems as they
are can potentially be impacted. However, depending on architecture, the
impact may be different. Someone clever (with deeper knowledge of
FreeBSD architecture and better insight into problem) may correct me here.

The fact that FreeBSD still works on this problem whereas Microsoft and
Linux kernel folks already released their patches to me speaks highly of
FreeBSD. FreeBSD appears to do really thorough job. As example, I would
mention this: Linux (CentOS aka "binary replica" of RedHat Enterprise)
often after releasing kernel patch, releases second kernel patch 2-3
days later. Which makes all who maintain parks of Linux machines and
patch them promptly reboot the machines twice in a course of few days.
There are special cases sometimes, but mostly this is indication of not
thorough enough work. I don't remember similar things happen to FreeBSD.
This pretty much reminds me how someone concluded that ATI does more
thorough work on drivers compared to NVIDIA, pointing to the fact that
ATI releases drivers only twice a year, whereas NVIDIA has to constantly
release drivers updates: Monthly.

Just my $0.02

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev