Date:      Thu, 09 Sep 1999 09:13:24 +0100
From:      Jake Hill <jah@alien.bt.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running on Alpha

Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> After several years of installing,  using, and administrating FreeBSD on
> various Intel machines, I'm about to  try it on an Alpha workstation. Is
> there anything in particular I should watch out for? Thanks!

I think that nobody on this list knows the answer to that question. ;-)

Yes this response is a bit of a troll, I admit. But after recently
asking an Alpha type question on this list and getting not one response,
I am starting to assume that there ain't many of us about!

I am a bit of a newbie to FreeBSD. I have it running here on some Intel
machines, where I'm doing some IPSec work. Our experience with Linux and
FreeS/WAN suggests that it is handy to have some 64bit hardware about
when coding. ;-) This is why I'm keen to get FreeBSD up on my 164LX board.

It seems there are a host of FAQs regarding FreeBSD on Alpha which are
not answered anywhere (if they are, I'm sorry---I have looked and failed
to find answers to my question). Can somebody explain to me why the
-alpha list is no longer? I think the lack of any dedicated Alpha
resource is a big omission.

Cheers,

/.J