Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2004 12:06:31 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rackmountable "serial console" ...

--xJK8B5Wah2CMJs8h

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 01:56:29PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>=20
> vs the KVM over Ethernet ... what is available out there?  I know I lose
> the ability to 'watch the boot' vefore the OS cuts in, so BIOS stuff would
> still require hands on, but any recommendations on one that works well
> with FreeBSD, especially as far as being able to get into the debugger and
> whatnot?

We've had pretty good luck with Cyclades TS series termial servers on
our cluster.  We're planning to switch to their AlterPath ACS line
since they cost the same and have more flash so they can support more
features.  For power control we use Baytech (baytech.net) RPC controlers
connected to the Cyclades terminal servers.

One other option we're looking at is using FireWire for console and
debugging support.  It's working fairly well on my test cluster.  We're
probably going to do a test deployment with sets of 32-nodes.  The
question is, can we get a 33-device firewire network to remain stable
enough to actually use in this capacity?  I hope so because it's a
cheaper option that makes debugging easier.

-- Brooks

--=20

--xJK8B5Wah2CMJs8h

--xJK8B5Wah2CMJs8h--